More For The Marians…

The Marian Roman army for DBA (II/49) has grown a bit, gaining an element of ‘Wild Gauls’ and some much needed Psiloi.

The Gauls were both fun and painful to paint, the checks on both the shields and pants being done freehand. I feel I could probably have done better on the pants, but hey, first go…

The Psiloi elements represent Numidian javelinmen and Spanish slingers.

Next up for this army will probably be two elements of Spanish Scutarii (4Ax). Or the artillery… Or… 😉

Advertisements

Marian Romans II/49

I’ve begun work on a second 28mm Roman army for DBA, this time the Marians. I’ve been boosted with the acquisition of some legionaries already painted by a friend, though I have modified them a bit. As with all of my armies for DBA, my goal is to complete all options to be playable at the 12 element level. I don’t know if I’d ever be interested in 24 or 36 (BBDBA) element games. 12 seems more than enough. 😉

So far I have completed five elements of legionaries (4Bd), a Numidian elephant and some Numidian light horse. I am close to finishing the army’s two psiloi elements and the element of ‘wild Gauls’ (4Wb), all three of which have been dipped and are curing in preparation for their flat spray finish. (In reality, they are waiting for me to actually buy some flat spray, as the other can ran out when I was painting the BUA. That monster of a model took most of a can!)

Greeks, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and DBA, Oh My!

It’s been a busy little gap since my last post. I would have been posting more regularly but things have not been conducive to blog posting. Oh well. Catch up mode activated.

I’ve been tinkering away with the Hail Caesar and Hail Caesar Fantasy projects since last post, and it’s all looking very good. I don’t have any fantasy stuff to show you yet (still have bases to do) but I have finished a unit of Spartans to show off. These were painted by Nuemonic and were (as he would agree) fairly quickly done, but I think with a bit of touching up here and there and a rebase to our 36-figure standard unit size they’ve come up very well indeed! There are going to be some gigantonormous armies ahead.

I’ve also had a chance to make my Holy Roman Empire army (IV/13c) for DBA playable and it saw its first action on Saturday. Two victories in one day, though mostly due to things coming down to the wire and a favourable die roll in both cases. A good start to a new army. I’ll post a gallery of this army as soon as I get the wagons done, something I think will complete the collection. It’s a big army with big units and the wagons simply must get done! 😉

And yes, it does contain those knights from the main blog header image(!) In that photo they were based for Warhammer Ancients, a very long time ago – the photo was always one of my favourites. I’ve since painted a few more to get the numbers needed for DBA, and rebased where necessary. Very happy with the result!

My experience with this army so far: about as different to the EIR as one could get. Being a shooty army (the list I used contained four crossbow and a cannon) the army tended to break up into little firebases all over the place rather than staying cohesive, with PIPs being allocated out of preference to the melee units. I still don’t have a good feel for the army yet; that’ll come in time.

And I’ve suddenly had a craziness for the game Warzone Resurrection, by Prodos Games. It appeared in our FLGS on Saturday (well, that’s when I saw it) and I am now painting a 1000 point force all at once, and I’m planning on it being ready by next weekend. Hold onto your hats! More soon.

EIR For DBA

Early Imperial Romans for DBA, list II/56. I’ve posted pictures of this army in the past on my old blog (now gone) but since they’ve been updated for some of the new options in DBA 3 I thought I’d put them up here.

There are still a couple of elements missing from this to make it “complete”. I’ll gradually get everything for it, but there’s no hurry… Though an element of Kn would be “nice”…