I’ve not been leaving my Warzone Capitol faction alone. For a bit of fun, I’ve been playing around with the AK range of weathering enamels and have gotten some decent effects from them, as I did with the Orca in an earlier post.
This time I hit the painting table with the Capitol Leviathan, something I wanted from the moment that I first saw it. It’s a strange looking tank, but it’s a decent size (read “big”) and it has enough detail (read ” lots of rivets”) to be a contender for rust and so forth.
My only gripe so far has been with the gun barrels. No matter how much they were given the heat treatment at the washing stage, they simply wouldn’t stay straight. It looks like they are doing a “mexican wave”. If I was doing this model again I’d replace the barrels with brass tubing, attaching the muzzle brakes back on afterwards.
Otherwise it was a joy to paint and put together. I finished it off with left over decals from some 1:48 and 1:72 scale WW2 and modern AFV kits.
DBA can be a wonderous beast.
I thought I was just collecting IV/13c (Mediaeval German 1440-1493). It turns out I can easily morph this army into IV/13d as well (Mediaeval German 1494-1518). These lads are clearly closer to the 1494 end of that, but that’s all good…
IV/13d will play quite differently to IV/13c. IV/13c has a lot of shooting potential, as it has a large number of Crossbows, an Artillery element and possibly war wagons (though I still have to paint those).
Options are good! 😉
And to think I thought I had too many pike to be useful…
The renovation work around here is starting to wind up (at least, most of it) and I’m slowly getting back into things. I had thought (mistakenly) that I was finding time to properly re-engage with the blog, but no. It didn’t work that way, despite my best intentions.
So if things are stuttering along here, please forgive me. I’m still hobbying, but getting computer time has been a bit dicey for some reason.
So I’m posting this from my phone. Let’s see how this turns out, shall we?
Games Room Complete
One of the renovation projects that is finished is my games room (awesome!). It also means I have a new table to play games on. The downside is that I couldn’t get the 12×6′ table that I had planned for. The room isn’t wide enough to allow the swinging doors of the cabinets under the table to be comfortably accessed. So 4′ wide it is instead, but still 12′ long. Though a 12×6′ table can fit in the space, my gamer megalomaniac goggles blinded me to practicalities in the planning stages. Anyway, its still a rather big and useful table. I can run two 6×4′ games or even three DBA/HoTT games at the same time.
A ruleset choice change has had to occur. I was all set on the Warlord series of games, but with only 4′ of table depth I think it would be less than ideal. Without a full 6′ depth those games would feel a bit cramped. Thankfully DBA doesn’t need much room.
For Napoleonics I’ve been looking at Blucher by Sam Mustafa. It’s perfect. As each unit represents a Brigade rather than a batallion, there is only a single base per unit. This is much the same as I already do for Kings of War. I’ve settled on an 80x60mm base for foot and horse, and 80mm square for guns. Whilst I think this game looks amazing in 6mm, I already have a bucket load of French and Russian troops in 28mm. So here goes…
Each of those bases is a brigade size formation, so Corps command is normal in Blucher. I’m looking forward to it.
Of course, all of this moving about of lead mountains means that many forgotten bits and bobs briefly resurface and give me ideas. I’ve been using the opportunity to base up (and rebase where necessary) many of my unused painted minis for games that I’m concentrating on. Units are appearing out of thin air, or so it seems, and it’s powering me along. If this phone posting thingamewhatzit works well, it will make posting pictures of all this stuff so much easier…