My next batch of stuff is starting to reach completion, and therefore the blog. 😉
First up is the Heavy Infantry for Capitol. I’ve had these guys prepped for a while now – they’ve been sitting on the bench waiting for some paint. Now that they’re done the only models left for the Capitol project are a unit of Free Marines that are already built and primed.
I decided to go with an airbrushed camouflage scheme. I like the soft-edged look of sprayed camo, and since these guys are in heavy “hardsuits” such camouflage would be appropriate. I picked a few Model Air colours at random from the shelf… Strangely enough (without knowing it) I had created a camouflage scheme that fits my gaming mats almost perfectly.
Well there you go.
The bad news is today (whilst painting a completely different unit altogether) it seems that my airbrush compressor has self-terminated. This is not good. Of course these things only happen once you begin to rely on said toy. Now I am needing a new one. Boo… I needed to distract myself and keep my productivity up.
So soon after this unfortunate loss, in a sullen mood, I went to prime an undead giant with a spray primer can (my only remaining spray option). Lo and behold! The top button thingy popped out of the can and paint began to spurt everywhere like a severed blood vessel! It in all honesty looked like a cheesy horror flick where they got the colour of the blood horribly wrong (a tan/bone colour). It also speckled my boots. The wife said it was a sign to stop painting today. So I worked on some bases instead… 😉
Side / Back
The squad, all together
I have now finished my one and only squad of Capitol Martian Banshees for Warzone Resurrection.
I chose a more muted version of the black and red uniforms described in the fluff, going for a dirty red-brown and dark grey instead.
These guys should add some interesting new tactical possibilities to the game…
Martian Banshees – Front
Martian Banshees – Back
I was thinking that since I had involved myself significantly in Warzone Resurrection, I might just have to re-recruit my old Free Marines. Whether or not they actually get to see battle alongside my new resin troops is irrelevant; they deserve a “place in the case”. So today I finished them off with a coat of mattcote, fire arc markings and some basing tufts. (I had dipped them two days ago so that they’d be compatible with my current painting style.) I also added the tufts to the other models that I had finished this week. It all looks a bit more lively now.
To honour the fact that I’ve had these painted for nearly 20 years (I had painted them back in 1997 or thereabouts) I’ve assigned them the first three squad numbers (1, 2 and 3) of my Free Marines. I have bought a current edition pack of them as well (the beginnings of 4th Squad) which will probably get the lions share of the action with their rocket launcher…
Of what I already have, there’s the Orca, fifteen light infantry, five heavy infantry and five free marines to go before I’m finished. Looking good so far, and it is most interesting to compare my paint jobs from 20 odd years ago to now. I definitely used a richer skin tone in those days, but I didn’t dip my models back then. 😉
The regular Free Marine infantry here will fit into the list as is; the characters will need statting up using the Heroes of the Solar System rules.
Captain Charles “Hotshot” Shine of the Free Marines
Lieutenant Hieronymous Sykes III
Master Sergeant Aloysius “Wardog” Smith
The manner in which I am labelling character’s names. Units also get a squad number in this way.
It’s been a busy little gap since my last post. I would have been posting more regularly but things have not been conducive to blog posting. Oh well. Catch up mode activated.
I’ve been tinkering away with the Hail Caesar and Hail Caesar Fantasy projects since last post, and it’s all looking very good. I don’t have any fantasy stuff to show you yet (still have bases to do) but I have finished a unit of Spartans to show off. These were painted by Nuemonic and were (as he would agree) fairly quickly done, but I think with a bit of touching up here and there and a rebase to our 36-figure standard unit size they’ve come up very well indeed! There are going to be some gigantonormous armies ahead.
Phalanx side on
I’ve also had a chance to make my Holy Roman Empire army (IV/13c) for DBA playable and it saw its first action on Saturday. Two victories in one day, though mostly due to things coming down to the wire and a favourable die roll in both cases. A good start to a new army. I’ll post a gallery of this army as soon as I get the wagons done, something I think will complete the collection. It’s a big army with big units and the wagons simply must get done! 😉
And yes, it does contain those knights from the main blog header image(!) In that photo they were based for Warhammer Ancients, a very long time ago – the photo was always one of my favourites. I’ve since painted a few more to get the numbers needed for DBA, and rebased where necessary. Very happy with the result!
Knights face off with the enemy…
Crossbow and cannon await targets
Psiloi tangle on my left flank
My experience with this army so far: about as different to the EIR as one could get. Being a shooty army (the list I used contained four crossbow and a cannon) the army tended to break up into little firebases all over the place rather than staying cohesive, with PIPs being allocated out of preference to the melee units. I still don’t have a good feel for the army yet; that’ll come in time.
And I’ve suddenly had a craziness for the game Warzone Resurrection, by Prodos Games. It appeared in our FLGS on Saturday (well, that’s when I saw it) and I am now painting a 1000 point force all at once, and I’m planning on it being ready by next weekend. Hold onto your hats! More soon.